Friday, September 3, 2010

For the first time ever............. A story.........

Ok. This my first time posting an original story on here. Don't be too harsh, but I would like to here your thoughts.


Revelation

The pounding of my feet on the track is almost hypnotic, perfectly matching the rhythm of my breathing. My arms pump, pushing me forward. I pass a girl, who is struggling to keep up the pace, and smile. I may not be the best runner on the cross country team, but I never stop running, even when my legs hurt like hell. It doesn’t stop me. Pain has always been something I can ignore.


The hot summer sun burns down on the team and I, forced to run on the exposed track. No breeze runs through the forest surrounding us. Others stop after every lap to rest and drink some water. I don’t though. I like pushing my body to its limits. The coach calls out to me as I pass him, words of encouragement, I suppose. I can’t hear him, or, rather, I don’t hear him. When I run, I’m in my own little world, and nothing can penetrate it.


Or, so I thought.


My back suddenly explodes with pain. My concentration shattered, I cry out and fall to the ground. My body convulses uncontrollably. Why… Why me? I tell myself to get up, to get back to running, but I can’t. I can’t control my body. My legs jerk and twist of their own accord, my fingers digging into the flesh of my palms. My back arches and burns, as if something is trying to push its way out. I feel large, wet tears roll down my cheek.


I hear people gather around me, wondering what’s happening to me. I feel them watching me in horror, or fear, or pity. The pity burns just as much as my back. I don’t need their pity. I’m stronger than that. I try to get up again, to prove them that I’m fine, that I’m strong, that pity isn’t needed. But I can’t. The pain, the burning between my shoulders has killed my nerves. The skin stretches strangely, the something underneath trying to get out. It burns, and burns, and I scream.


I feel my skin and clothes ripping as the something finally comes out. I lay on the drenched ground, in shock, as the pain subsides to a dull ache. My body is soaked with blood and sweat. Feeling returns to my legs and arms, but I just stay on the ground, panting. My entire body feels as if I had just run a marathon. Cool air touches my now bare back. The crowd around me is silent. You would think they'd be asking me if I'm alright, my muddled mind wonders.


A strange pulsing sensation emanates from between my shoulder blades and beyond my back. It beats to the same pulse of my heart. I can feel grass behind me. But that's impossible. I'm lying on the gravel track. The closest patch of grass is a couple feet behind me. Something would have to be extending from my... my back.... Then it hits me. What came out of my back?!


I slowly extend one sore arm behind me and feel wet, sticky feathers. Feathers. I follow them up to my back, where it abruptly ends and my skin begins. My pulse beats underneath my fingers. Painfully, I sit up, and I feel new muscles extend and contract beyond my back. I turn my head to look over my shoulder, see what I fear might be true. Long, black-blue wings extend from my ragged back, covered in sweat and blood. My sweat and blood. I have wings.


The world spins around me, and fades into black. The word wings echoes in my mind. Too weak to resist, I slip into unconsciousness as I fall back onto the ground.


So that's it. I hoped you like it. I could continue it, but I'm not sure if I should. You tell me.

No comments:

Post a Comment